the two Ls

the two Ls

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Cool Black Bean Summer Salad

Cool Black Bean Summer Salad

not especially beautiful to look at but delicious!

This salad made itself in my kitchen yesterday evening & it was good, so I thought I'd share with you. It was inspired by a fresh mango & avocado salsa that I like to make but then other ingredients from my fridge just kept jumping in. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Below is how I made it but I think it's probably a very flexible recipe. It made enough for 2 adults as a main course.

1 mango (I used ataulfo variety)
1/2 avocado
4-5 inches of English cucumber
1/2 red pepper
cooked corn kernels from 1 ear of corn
1 (generous) cup of black beans (Lazy Cook's of course!)
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
juice from 1/2 lime
baby spinach / other greens, to serve

Small chop (between chop & dice) the mango, avocado, cucumber & red pepper & place in a bowl. Squeeze juice from 1/4 of the lime & toss. Cut the kernels from corn cob & add to the bowl. Add black beans (Don't rinse them!)*, pressed garlic & the juice from the other 1/4 lime. Toss gently & serve on a bed of greens.

*I used black beans from Lazy Cook's Black Beans (see previous post) so I didn't rinse them. If you use canned beans, you will have to rinse them & probably add a little more seasoning. Try a little salt /Herbamare.


Do you need convincing why you should eat black beans? Check out this link from Medical News Today.

No comments: