Thursday, March 16, 2017
Sweet Potato Spice Cake with Hazelnuts and Candied Ginger
I am always looking for good dessert recipes to cook for the "burger night" crowd. Each Sunday night my extended family gets together for food and cards. Usually I bring the dessert or the salad, my two specialties. Here a recipe I found in an 2013 Vegetarian Times.
1/2 cup raisins
3 cups all purpose flour
1 TB baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp group cloves
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup almond milk
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 medium sweet potato peeled and finely grated (3 cups)
1/2 cup finely chopped candied ginger
1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
1 8oz vegan cream cheese
1 TB agave
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
Pre-heat oven 350. Coat 10 round cake pan with cooking spray
1.Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. let sit 10 minutes then drain and set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powders and spices in a bowl.
3. In a separate large bowl whisk together oil and sugars. then add in almond milk and lemon juice.
4. Stir flour mixture into oil mixture till a nice batter forms.
5. Fold in sweet potato, ginger, nuts and raisins. Pour into prepared pan.
6. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool then unmold cake onto wire to cool completely.
8. Make topping with cream cheese, agave and vanilla. Spread on cooled cake