the two Ls

the two Ls

Sunday, March 11, 2018

double chocolate vegan brownies

photo later

I have been reading more Gena Hamshaw. I have always enjoyed her blog so when I saw her cookbook  (Food 52) at the library I immediately checked it out and ran home. These brownies are really good and more cake-like than my protein brownies. More dessert-ish. Yummy.

2TB warm water
1 TB flax meal
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups Monkfruit sweetener  (Gena used sugar but I wanted to see if I could eliminate the sugar. Monkfruit erythritol sweetener is a 1:1 replacement ratio)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 TB instant c espresso powder
1 1/4 cups non dairy milk
1/2 cup oil (your fave. I used olive oil.)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 vegan chocolate chips
handful of pecans

1.Preheat oven to 350. Oil an 8x8 pan. Next time I will try a 9x12 for flat brownies)

2.In small bowl mix water and flax meal.

3, In large bowl mix flour, sweetener, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and espresso powder

4. Whisk together liquid ingredients with flax meal. Add to dry ingredients.

5.Pour batter in prepared pan.

6. Place chocolate chips and pecans on top. Press into brownies.

7. Cool for about a half hour and cut into squares. 

7.Bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Side note .. check out Dr Greger's post about erythritol as a powerful antioxidant.


No comments: