the two Ls

the two Ls

Saturday, January 20, 2018

kale pesto


I am always trying to sneak more cruciferous veggies into my day and honestly I was a little skeptical when I saw this recipe. Messing with pesto should be sacrilegious, so I thought. But then I followed the recipe and made two small changes and there we are- a total yummers. My changes were: add nutritional yeast and double the  garlic.  I used the pesto as is with pasta and then I mixed it with my left over ratatouille. Paul (my husband) said, "You are going to remember this one, right?" Let me explain- every day is a new experience  in this kitchen. Unless I put my recipe in the blog the chance of it being repeated is pretty low. ha!
The original recipe came from one of my all time favorite cookbooks My Beef with Meat. I just love Jane Esselstyn's recipes!

2 cups kale, stripped and cooked
1 1/2 cups walnuts
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cups water or more to consistency
zest of a lemon
juice of a lemon
1 1/2 cups fresh basil
1/2 cup nutritional yeast

preheat oven to 350
Place kale in large pot with 1 inch of water. Cook for about 5 minutes. Set aside and drain
Toast walnuts in oven for about 5-7 minutes. Watch them closely so they don't burn.

Place toasted walnuts in food processor, chop. Add drained kale.
Blend. Then add garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice,  and basil. Blend.
Add nutritional yeast. Blend and add water or more lemon juice as necessary.

Enjoy!
Thanks Jane!


No comments: